Sunday, May 18, 2008

Saving...

Andy and I have just purchased the book
America's Cheapest Family By: Steve and Annette Economides
I am only on the second chapter and I have already learned TONS of ideas on how to save money.... so this blog is to ask everyone for a favor..... My first favor I am going to ask of everyone is to comment back with your favorite recipe that you cook. One of the things that the family in the book does is only shop at the grocery store once a month, I know I feel like this is impossible also but I am going to give it a shot!! Since I am not a plan ahead type of person it is going to be difficult but I am supposed to put together a menu .... I am going to just start with a menu for 2 weeks and work my way up, but for now since I harldy ever cook at all I need to build my recipe book so I figured what better way then to ask all of my blogging buddies :)

The second thing I was wanting to ask about is would anyone be interested in coupon swapping? The lady in the book talks about how her and her friends pass around the sunday coupons each week.... What they do is each person gets the sunday paper and cuts out whatever coupons they want and then passes them along.... not everyone wants the same coupons so it all works out and if everyone buys the paper then everyone gets the first choice and then if someone leaves a coupon that you really like or that you want doubles of then you get the chance to cut that one out also! I can not believe I am even asking this because I am not good at coupons and spending the time to make out a menu but I figured if I was ever going to be able to stay home with aubrey I better start making some changes..... so if anyone is interested in coupon swapping then leave me a comment and we will get that started next week!

8 comments:

Julia said...

I will get ya a couple recipes soon - but I wanted to tell ya that coupons are DEFINATELY the way to go! www.afullcup.com or couponmom.com both have good coupons and stuff... also hotcouponworld.com - - and restaurant.com is a good one too - to get discount gift certificates... they put gift certs on sale for like 50-75% off sometimes!

anyway... good luck saving money.. it takes time to coupon, but i have saved over 100 dollars in a month more than once!

Aby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mitzi said...

I will definitely swap coupons. My mom and grandmother have done this for a long time. I recently started getting the Bham news and I get the coupons and USE them. My mom saves the ones she does not use and stacks them up (sometimes some of them expire) to give me when I go to visit. I will send a recipe later....

Aby said...

you should try thegrocerygame.com - it matches coupons with sales at your fave stores (except Wal-Mart). I am not using Grocery Game at the moment but plan on it when I not working as much - I'll tell you why when I see you again. Also, Publix doubles coupons everyday of the week up to 50 cents (40 cent coupon would be doubled to 50 cents, 25 cents to 50 cents). The key is to match those coupons with sales. You should get a circular from Publix, Winn Dixie, WalMart, etc. in your mail on Wed. or Thurs.

I don't know so much about shopping once a month because you will miss alot of sales, but I guess it's worth a try. What about produce?

Only buy stuff that's on sale and stock up! Mrs. Marion Lynn and I already do some swapping between us...I'll start saving my coupons I don't use for you!

Darlene said...

Saving Dinner has a good way of buying the items you need for what you are cooking. You can look at this link by FlyLady. It gives you the list and receipes, it is neat.

Unknown said...

You want my favorite recipe? RAMIEN NOODLES!!!! one case is like 12 bucks and it will feed you and andy every meal for two weeks!!! just think 24 bucks and month and you and andy can eat all month long!!!!! IT WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I love you sis and I will see you SOON!

Tricia said...

I will be glad to swap coupons with you, I meant to stick some in your mailbox earlier when we went to the park but I forgot... I will bring them by later in the week!

Here is a recipe that I love that is easy to make

Chicken Ceasar Salad Pizza
1 ready made pizza crust (already cooked)
1 package chicken tenders
ceasar dressing
romaine lettuce
mozzarella cheese
Parmesan & asiago (shredded)

Marinate your chicken tenders in some of the ceasar dressing. Cook tenders on the grill.

Cover the pizza crust with about 2 TBSP of ceasar dressing, top with parmesan and asiago cheeses. Place cooked chicken tenders on top of cheeses and cover with moz. cheese.
Cook at 450 degrees or on the grill until cheese is melted.

Serve with Ceasar salad on top! It is sooo yummy! We love it.

I also like to cook extra chicken when I grill, so then later in the week we can have grilled chicken salads or chicken quesadillas.

Mitzi said...

I JUST RAN ACROSS THIS BLOG AND WANTED TO SHARE IT. I HAVE NOT READ A LOT OF IT BUT THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/