Monday, September 1, 2008

Just in case you were wondering....

Today was the first day of potty training and although none of you really care to read about it, I thought I would keep everyone posted on the progress as the week goes on.

This morning I hung her potty chart in the bathroom and put her stickers on the counter and we talked about how we get a sticker on the chart and one for her shirt every time she goes on the potty. She didn't really seem to care but when I pulled the cookie box out AND the juice out she became a little more interested in all this potty stuff.

So, after hours of bribing and sitting on the potty we were successful! We (including Andy) all cheered jumped up and down and gave high fives! Even Aubrey jumped up off of the potty hands straight up in the air and yelled "I DID IT!" Then she politely asked for her sticker, her cookie, and her juice.

We will see what tomorrow brings..... if you do not care to keep up with the potty progress I suggest you skip my blog this week because whether I like it or not this whole potty thing is going to consume my life this week. If we are successful and close to being potty trained by the end of the week then I will be happy. If you just drop by my house this week, most likely you will find clothes piled up, dust on the furniture, and dog hair on the ground. I realized today that there is no time for regular house-hold chores when I am having to asked every 15 minutes if she wants to go to the potty and then we sit there for another 15 minutes for her to finally say "put diaper back on!"

Join me tomorrow night for another update....until then PRAY! (Is it OK to pray for potty training?) Maybe I should call Mamaw and tell her to add us to her prayer list this week.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey Jenifer
The timer worked great with us for one of mine (can't remember which one)... the first day or so we set the timer for every 15 minutes, every time the timer went off we had to try to go potty...

also, we stopped diapers all together and only did pull-ups when we were going somewhere or at night. The 1st day there were tons of accidents, but they decided really quick that they did not like being wet, so they learned to peepee in the potty really quick, accidents significantly decreased from the 2nd day on... now the other took a little longer

I will be praying she learns quickly... we used m&ms for peepee rewards and mini reese cups for the other :) Those worked much better than stickers for us.

Just think, now you get to experience all the public pottys with kids when you go out, that is the downside of potty training, just get you one of those travel potty seats to keep in your bag :)

Have fun!

Just Me'n Mine said...

Hey Jenifer,

Yesterday I discovered your Mom's and sister's blog. Today, I discovered yours. What precious days - potty training. Yes, it sounds strange, and I am the one you should ask how NOT to do it. But I do miss the precious ages of my babies. Its funny how you can miss a period of time in the lives of your children so much it literally hurts your heart, and yet at the same time, absolutely treasure the time you are in.

Though I would love to say more, I must get school going with mine right now. And we will pray for Aubrey's potty training. :D

Gosh I am missing Calera today!

Love,
Leisl Lemire

Anonymous said...

Jenifer,

I am glad that potty training was successful on the first day! The timer worked for us and we made the most progress when we stopped diapers/pull ups totally (except at night) and went to big girl underwear.We even made a special trip to the store just to pick out our big kid underwear. We also saw the inside of every public restroom in Calera. We have had many accidents and have learned to stop at the restroom first thing before we start any shopping-even if we say we don't have to go. Good Luck and remember that know matter how good or bad it is, now that you have started to stick with it-it's like a light switch it will eventually click.